Friday, February 15, 2013

Lent

The forty day Lenten season is a time of reflection and preparation for the death and resurrection of Jesus.  Throughout this season we have the incredible opportunity to be a part Christ’s journey.  This is a time for repentance as we remember Christ’s suffering and as we ourselves take up our crosses.  Traditionally people spend this season fasting, praying, and practicing acts of love.  These are all outward practices that encourage us to turn inward and recenter our lives on God.  We need Lent.  I need Lent.  I know that I need Lent and yet, I am not very good at it.  Every year I plan to fast from something or take up a new spiritual practice.  I identify that I need this time but year after year I seem to struggle with the follow through of my Lenten commitments.  Despite good intentions, my participation in these things always seems to be lacking.  So, how do I get more out of this season?  I want the following forty days to be more than just midweek services of Holden Evening Prayer and denying myself of chocolate.   Hebrews 10:22-24 is a great place to start as we begin this Lenten season.


Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.  Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.  And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
I want this season to be an incredible time where I am pushed beyond comfort and comforted beyond reason.  This is our chance to draw near to our God, as we struggle alongside her son and anticipate Easter Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment